Monday 12 April 2010

Even if it does good

Well, as I enter the week before hand-in that is commonly known as 'Dissertation Hell,' the frequency of my posts over these next seven days is likely to drop off quite considerably. For today, though, I've burnt myself out on essays about Edgar Allan Poe's detective fiction, and am taking a well-earned break. Whilst I'm doing so, I'd like to post a couple of videos (filmed by Andrew Haigh) from this Saturday just gone, a good portion of which I spent in a couple of parks in Didsbury, watching a trio of acoustic acts, surrounded by candles and wonderful people.

Hungry Ha Ha Ha



Jess Bryant



I'd also like to point you in the direction of Peter Jones' blog, Erase Erase, and his most recent entry on the plight of the Night & Day, which perfectly vocalises what seems to be the consensus at the moment. A few years ago, the very suggestion that the venue might be closed down prompted both shock and a general sense of panic as to the damage it might do to the Manchester music scene. For a time, pretty much every band I loved wound up playing there; the number of amazing shows I've attended at the Night & Day may very well number in the hundreds. Now, a cursory glance through the listings reveals practically nothing to be excited about over the coming months, and unfortunately that has been the situation for quite a while now. Their stubborn refusal to acknowledge the problems they have means that, ultimately, their slow demise is hard to lament. I wouldn't care so much were it not for the fact that I've spent some of the best nights of my life in there. Here's hoping they get their act together.

No comments:

Post a Comment