Monday 7 June 2010

Talking Up...Pearly Gate Music

It's always nice when an artist emerges from nowhere to take you by surprise. I'm having that experience right now with Pearly Gate Music, whose self-titled debut album wasn't remotely on my radar until a recommendation from the sadly now defunct music blog Pop Tarts Suck Toasted. In writing about it previously, I spoke of the understated beauty that defines the album. That's painfully evident on the standout track "I Was A River." I find it hard to believe anyone will release a more beautiful song all year; strikingly sparse, it relies almost entirely on Zach Tillman's wonderful vocal performance, as the lyrics build to the heartbreaking refrain of "if I still loved you / I wouldn't be free." The sincerity of the sentiment shines through, and it marks Tillman out as a songwriter of tremendous potential. "Big Escape," meanwhile, is a subtle pop gem, an ode to growing up that actually becomes somewhat anthemic the more you listen to it. It's not the most immediate of records, but it's worth spending some time with; it's definitely a grower.

Anyway, here's a trio of songs recorded in live venues that I think you might enjoy:

"Bad Nostalgia" and "Navy Blues"



"Gossamer Hair"

No comments:

Post a Comment