Thursday 24 June 2010

"I feel like we're at the end of Our Town, where the people of Grover's Corner are talking to one another from inside their graves."

I think the universe is telling me I should sit down and read Thornton Wilder's Our Town. The above quote is from Douglas Coupland's All Families Are Psychotic (I'm still working my way through it, and enjoying it more than Generation X and Shampoo Planet, even though it's not without its flaws), but Kurt Vonnegut also references Wilder's play on several occasions during Timequake, which I just finished rereading the other day.

It's strange how these things work, but now that my course is finished (right down to receiving my results today - just the graduation ceremony to go now) I'm finding it much easier to be enthusiastic about literature. Which is useful, considering that the subheading of this blog is 'Words about cinema and literature and music,' and I haven't really been living up to that tagline in a while.

Five books I own which I really need to get around to reading:

1. Michael Chabon, The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay
2. Jonathan Franzen, The Corrections
3. Glen David Gold, Sunnyside 
4. Victor Hugo, The Hunchback of Notre Dame
5. Daphne du Maurier, I'll Never Be Young Again

No comments:

Post a Comment