Wednesday 12 May 2010

She'll decide what she wants

On several occasions recently, I've mused about how a certain band or artist has passed me by. You can add Ben Folds to that list, and that's something of a shame; I can't help but feel if I'd discovered him at the right time of my life, he might have become very important to me. As it is, Rockin' The Suburbs was my first experience of his music, and "Annie Waits" aside, it was never going to be enough to win me over. But my love for Elliott Smith is such that I always pay attention whenever somebody covers his music. Cymbals Eat Guitars offered a fantastic version of "Big Nothing" recently, and as part of the A.V. Club's extensive Undercover project, Folds recorded a version of "Say Yes" that sticks close to the original, whilst also doing it justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment