Thursday 25 March 2010

First Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World trailer

When writing about Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World last week, I suggested that the release of the first trailer must surely be imminent. Lo and behold:


So, first impressions? For me, it does nothing to quieten the doubts I have over Michael Cera's suitability in the role; I think it required an actor with a more forceful personality. That said, I definitely like the visual style of the film; that they've chosen to embrace the comicbook medium so fully was a good decision considering the often-cartoonish nature of the source material (and that element can be seen more fully in the sound effect screencaps at Bleeding Cool). The trailer seems to be getting a good response around the web (and the film is currently the #4 Twitter trending topic). I'm setting myself to 'cautiously optimistic,' with a real belief that it'll exceed my expectations.

EDIT: a friend pointed me in the direction of this website, which does a fantastic job of highlighting direct references the film makes to the comicbook - there's quite a few, even in a minute-and-a-half trailer. Based on this, I'm upgrading my excitement level to "why is it not August already?"

No comments:

Post a Comment