Sunday 6 November 2011

- Out of nowhere, I'm eagerly anticipating Miranda July's The Future, despite the fact that I am decidedly not a fan of her work. Indeed, the much-loved No One Belongs Here More Than You strikes me as one of the worst things I've abandoned reading at any point over the last decade. Pointless, plotless, and with nothing to say, each short story seems designed to convey a sense of profundity in an attempt to mask the vacuousness of it all. Peter Bradshaw's review of The Future and another piece published in The Guardian acknowledge the traits that jar with my own creative preferences and sensibilities, whilst also making reasonably compelling cases for why her latest is worth watching. So I'll be watching it, safe in the knowledge that even if I don't enjoy it, I'll enjoy not enjoying it.

- On Looping State Of Mind, The Field has raised the bar once again. Listening to it back-to-back with From Here We Go Sublime, the progression from album one to album three is staggering (and Sublime is a solid eight-and-a-half out of ten). What makes it even better: Kompakt's dedication to the vinyl format. 2 LPs and a free CD? Don't mind if I do.

- I'm working on a couple of pieces for Onward, Manchester about the X-Men relaunch. Can't say anything I've read so far has blown me away, but issue #1s are a notoriously difficult beast, and I'm enough of a fan to persist.

No comments:

Post a Comment